Re: [NTLK] Constantly charging NiMH batteries from BTI

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Aug 29 2001 - 09:13:37 EDT

on 29/08/01 02:53, Lallang_at_aol.com at Lallang_at_aol.com wrote:

> When I'm not using my Newton 2100s, I have it plugged into the power adapter
> which charges the NiMH battery I got from Battery Technology so that I can
> always have the 2100s at full charge when I am out in the field. Is this a
> bad thing where the battery is concerned? I had thought it not to be a
> problem since NiMH batteries are supposed to be free of the hysteresis/memory
> effect that plagues NiCd batteries? Thanks.

Just thought I should add that I'm also using NiMH rechargeables since I had
my 2100, back in November 1997. So far, each of the 3 pack is keeping its
charge. I had to replace one which was physically damaged, but the others
are still performing perfectly. I switch them one after each other, so that
every one gets used. I always completely drain them out, then full recharge.
Before going to bed, I set up my 2100 to my Ethernet network so that InkSpot
will automatically download newsgroup messages very early in the morning.
What I always do is plug the 2100 and then remove the battery pack, so it
doesn't get recharged, and I'm not wasting my rechargeable packs.

-Laurent.

bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe, trying to produce
bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
-Rich Cook