Re: [NTLK] Carpman has left the Arena.

From: Kim Howe (khowe_at_omninet.net.au)
Date: Sat Aug 25 2001 - 02:40:45 EDT

On Friday, August 24, 2001, at 10:14 PM, carpman_at_newtontracker.net
wrote:

> Well, I'm out. Newtontracker sounded like a good idea on paper, and I
> thought that the Newton would be as cool as it was 3 years ago, but the
> Newton truly is dead.

I have to disagree. We all went through the doldrums a bit when the
Newton was discontinued, but we've recovered from that and are moving
on. The Newton still has heaps of life left in it.

> The efforts of Paul's ATA driver, while excelent work, are not going to
> bring the Newton back. If the Newton is to survive, it MUST have a
> period of new software development.

New software is coming out for the Newton. Paul's ATA driver will be
great, so will Airport. (I'm really looking forward to shoving a 64Meg
ATA card into one slot of my Newton and an 802.11 into the other. :) At
this point there's still more software around than I've had time to
investigate, and I've been around the community since the OMP. My
UMP2000 is still a tool I use every day and there is nothing made that
can replace it. People ask me, "Does that keep track of appointments for
you?" and I say yes, it also has an extensive dictionary (Word Newt) a
copy of the NIV Bible (The Message) 3 50,000 word drafts of the novel
I've been writing (entirely on the Newton), effective internet software
and too many more things to list.

> I've got my Diamond Mako (re-packaged Revo+). The Newtontracker UNNA
> mirror will dissipear sometime this afternoon (CST).

I think you're letting yourself be discouraged too easily. Sorry to see
it go.

> I really hate to do this, but I hadn't turned my Newton on in the past
> two weeks, and despite the posts I made to the contrary, everyone still
> believes that OSX is the death of the Newton.

OS X is working fine on my G4 Cube. NCU runs great under Classic, and
connects very nicely to the Newton via Ethernet. When the Airport
drivers get sorted, I'll be surfing on my Newton wireless via the Cube
and it will be even more cool than the couple of nice days I ran an
ethernet cable outside to sit in the sun and chat using PT100 for a few
hours.

> I'm sorry I wasted your time.

You didn't, and it's a shame you feel like you've wasted yours. I know
how you feel, I spent quite a bit of time setting up the Newton Forum on
Syndicomm, and so far haven't seen evidence that anyone has bothered to
join and have a look at it. This mailing list has daily evidence that
the community is alive and well. The Newton will continue to thrive. I
hope you'll reconsider and hang around and enjoy it. I know I will!

Kim Howe
Newton Forum Host on Syndicomm
kimhowe_at_synidcomm.com