Re: [NTLK] Carpman has left the Arena.

From: Templarsog1_at_aol.com
Date: Fri Aug 24 2001 - 20:07:02 EDT

As a newcomer to the Newton I would have to say that it certainly is not
dead. While there may indeed be a dearth of developers and limited support
it's real utility is still quite unchallenged. Certainly one should not pine
for Apple to crank up the presses so to speak, and start really supporting
the unit as if it were a part of their current product stable. Almost no
company can do that forever. However, the Newton can live on indefinitely
through the concerted efforts of the many dedicated people around the world
who do use it, who continue to use it and those like myself who are just
getting started. I for one would definitely be willing to contribute monies
on an ongoing basis to support a sort of Newton super site where all things
Newton could be found and where things can be incubated and developed from.
This is truly a worthy goal if one is willing to make the commitment. Being
new to the Mac platform in general I have been struck by the real sense of
community that Apple users engender. You just do not see that with Windows
users. It reminds me of people who, like myself, love Land Rover vehicles.
There are a lot of 30,40 & 50 year old Land Rovers on the road and you can
get all manner of help and support for them all over the world. Land Rovers
are an addiction. Once you are bitten you can never shake it. I feel that Mac
users/Newton users feel and are the same way. I know I am. It is a true
spirit of community that binds Mac users the world over and this aspect has
definitely been a part of the longevity of the Apple idea. I am sure that if
people were not as devoted to the Mac as they are Apple would have been gone
a long time ago.
Well I hope I didn't go on to long or speak out of place. You can put me on
any list there is to support the Newton. And as they say in Latin:
'Fortitudine Vincimus' (through endurance we conquer)

Cheers,
William