[NTLK] Magic Link Desktop [Was: How it all began]

From: Grant [Voxel Mapping] Hutchinson (grant_at_splorp.com)
Date: Fri Aug 24 2001 - 15:09:14 EDT

In a previous message, Victor Rehorst typed vigorously:

>A side note - there was an interface written for NOS 1.x that is a dead
>ringer for the Magic Link "desktop". It was apparently terminated because
>Sony sent some nasty letters to the author, but they haven't sent me any.

And for further, albeit off-topic, discussion:

The operating system on the Sony Magic Link, as well as the Motorola
Envoy, was called Magic Cap. The look and feel of Magic Cap was designed,
for the most part, by Susan Kare - who designed the icons, bitmap fonts,
and sundry other interface elements for the original Mac. She also worked
on icons and such for Windows 3.0, OS/2 Warp, and Eazel's Nautilus
desktop - but then again, everyone has lapses in judgement during their
careers.

     http://home.twcny.rr.com/magiclink/sonyml_screenshots.htm
     http://www.kare.com/portfolio.html

g.

Grant Hutchinson Interface Considerations & Toys

Live video served fresh since 1996. http://www.splorp.com/
Now fortified with daily ramblings. http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain. http://www.splorp.com/newton/