Re: [NTLK] Has anyone seen the eZaurus yet?

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Fri Aug 24 2001 - 13:25:10 EDT

>On 8/24/01 @ 7:54 PM, Tim wrote:
>
>Even though Apple isn't listening, it appears Sharp (an OEM of the
>Newton) has been paying attention. Check this out:
>(http://www.ezaurus.com/mie1/product/index.html). The site is in
>Japanese with very few English words, but the pictures speak volumes. It
>seems to represent exactly where the Newton would be now had it not been
>canned. MP3, MPEG4, allegedly 95%+ accurate HWR (Japanese and English).
>Supposedly, Sharp plans to bring some form of the eZaurus to the U.S.
>market this fall, but who knows. It is said that they will not use the
>Zaurus OS, but rather a form of Linux. This info has been gleaned from
>articles on Go2Mac.com. Anyway, it looks like the closest follow-on
>we'll see to a Newton, not to mention a Palm and iPaq crusher.

Well put.

Yes, I've seen it. Didn't have long to play with it. Initial impression
was that it was a very nice device!

I like the wireless access via a Compact Flash size wireless modem with
64kbps speed.

For those on this board, if you ever have a chance to visit Japan,
definitely make time to see Akihabara. There are many devices that are
available over here that you will never see in the states. It's a gagget
lover's heaven! :-)

BTW, there are lot's of cool things besides electronic stuff as well.
For example, I saw my first model airplane jet engine (true turbine). It
is very small. Cost is around 7 grand.

Sushi