Re: [NTLK] Brain extensions

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Aug 24 2001 - 11:29:39 EDT

I have not had a problem like that. I have an uncanny
ability to get electronic devices to cooperate through
verbal communication. Threats of disassembly (I take
things apart pretty well, they just don't go back
together right away...) Apparently, I am quite well
known in the electronic world amoung fax machines,
copiers, printers and desktops. Users call me on the
phone with a problem...and once their desktop hears
that they are talking to me, the machine begins to
function normally! Automagically!
Once as an experiment, I had a user "pretend" to be
talking to me, just to get the desktop machine to
believe that I "was on my way" to "fix" the problem,
and the machine started to work...but it didn't last,
because I think that the desktop got to talking to the
deskphone and the deskphone said it was a fake-out, so
the desktop flaked out again...This time it required
me to arrive at the machine and make personal threats
directly at the machine. While I never touched the
machine, the user powered on the machine while I
continued to make threats...the machine booted
properly and functioned normally since. Sometimes, you
just have to intimidate these machines to
function...But there are always those "rebels"...I
have ONE machine in one of our datacenters of 5,000
servers that is not cooperating. I'm going to go there
this weekend and take it apart and leave it that way
all weekend. It will be happy to cooperate on Sunday.

(note, while these statements indicate that I have
some form of secret interaction with machines, in
reality most of the time, the problems are solved with
a simple solution that the user is not aware of. I
have no psychic abilities and am in no way affiliated
with those "psychic hotlines")
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- "Gruendel, Frank 3837 PPE-S3"
<Frank.Gruendel_at_de.heidelberg.com> wrote:

> > In short, the device should be
> > an extension of the user...in my case, a spare
> brain.
>
> Well... actually... I much rather rely on my own
> brain.
> Especially since the time when my first electronic
> database
> forgot my password. Not I had forgotten it, but this
> stupid device had.

<snip>

=====
note: This does not constitute a sig file...