[NTLK] AW: sorry about this but... if I got a palm, are there ANY decent HWRapps for it

From: Drew Loker (lokerd_at_hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 02:12:01 EDT

Some people have already responded to this, but I wanted to add a couple of
tid bits.

There are a few programs that allow you to write more "nomrally", but they
all SUCK!!!!!!! Sorry to be so vulgar, but the Palm HWR is the PITS. I knew
it was bad, i just didn't realize it was this bad. In fact, I was led to
believe that there were programs out there that allow you to write anywhere
on the screen AND write in regular text, but a) they cost money, b) you
still have to write in letters, c) none that I have tried let you edit what
you have written. I have tried 3 different packages so far, and have yet to
find one that is ANYTHING remotely like what the Newton offers. The
challange that I have found so far, is that although this one particular
piece allows you to write a 't' like a t, it really isn't recognizing the
letter t, it is see that you crossed a stroke. The newton in it's incredible
intelligence understand that you have written a letter of the alphabet, and
how it fits in with other words, like a dictionary, and commands, and parts
of people names. I don't know if this makes sense, but I guess what I am
saying is that this is one of the those times that you don't know how
powerful what you got is, until you have to deal with the other.

The Newt recognizes words not just letters. I don't see how Palm could EVER
do what the Newton does. I am completely dumbfounded by how easy it is too
write on Newt, and what a pain in the duff it is to even try to write on a
Palm. I have never liked grafiti and consequently never learned it, since I
tried it YEARS ago. The thing is, I know the alphabet now, but the
recongnizer just doesn't recognize some letters, and it just sucks!!!! I may
write like crud on the Newton, but it recognizes my writing with an amazing
accuracy!

Anyway, the point of this rambling is this. UNless you just HAVE to have a
Palm for some company software reason, then you have no choice. Otherwise,
stick with clearly an undisputed winner. The Palm sucks!! I mean, I have
been an advocate of my Newt for a really long time, but I had no idea what
pain in the royal rump it is to use. Personally, I am workign frantically to
get my Sync system working so all I have to use the Palm for is for a few
pieces of company software.

Sorry to ramble, the Palm HWR just really pisses me off, and was just
frustrating me earlier this evening!!

Drew