Re: [NTLK] Accessing Net over a Windoze lan

From: Ivan T. Shaw (ishaw_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Wed Aug 22 2001 - 01:10:56 EDT

At 05:47 PM 8/21/01 -0400, Tom Wilkinson wrote:
>Can a Newton access the Internet over a Windows ethernet lan that uses a
>software proxy server that allows the client machines to access the net
>using the ip address of the host machine?

Maybe, depending on the proxy server software and its configuration.

My experience: the internal network has to be running TCP/IP (static IPs or
DHCP - doesn't matter), the proxy server has to be configured to route
Internet traffic to/from the internal network (it's a NAT gateway) and the
proxy software CANNOT be Microsoft Proxy Server 1.0 or 2.0.

For some reason, Microsoft's proxy server just doesn't want to work with
Newtons (it has never stably worked for me when Macs and OS/2 boxes were
thrown into the mix either).

>If so, I know you have to assign the Newton an IP address, but what do you
>put for the gateway router address?

If your LAN has a DHCP server, it's the easiest way to go (IP and
configuration information will be automatically passed onto the Newton).

If you're using static IPs, the proxy is entered as the gateway address.
DNS and domain names depend on your proxy settings (MS Proxy Server for
instance prefers that clients are not configured with DNS entries) and
whether you're running an internal name server or use an upstream DNS, and
own a domain name.

--
Ivan T. Shaw, PhD
http://www3.sympatico.ca/ishaw