Re: [NTLK] sorry about this but... if I got a palm, are there ANY decent HWR apps for it?

From: Bill davis newton (newton_at_mail.ecity.net)
Date: Tue Aug 21 2001 - 18:33:16 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: esworp <esworp_at_mac.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 13:32:27 -0500
Subject: Re: [NTLK] sorry about this but... if I got a palm, are there
ANY decent HWR apps for it?

> So, like..
>

> lets say i want meatspace book 'X' on my newton. what's the trick?
> i guess i need to find a textfile of it, eh?

Correct. Or possibly Word or RTF.

> where is a good place to start looking?

- Project Gutenberg or related/mirror sites.

- alt.binaries.e-book (and related spellings: e-books/ebook/ebooks). I
recommend searching your usenet news providers full list of feeds
for "book" or "ebook" or "e-book". If you don't find any in
alt.binaries or free.*, then your ISP may filter out the binary and
free groups.

- also there are a number of sites around with NewtonBooks readily
available and some that will take Project Gutenberg texts and let you
get eBooks in a variety of formats including NewtonBook or Newton
PaperBack. If Qwest ever gets my DSL line back up, you'll hopefully be
able to search Info-Newt for these. Try after August 28th....

> next... lets talk formatting! whats the best way to
> turn a ebook into a newton book without getting a text formatting
> nosebleed?

Use PaperBack. It's probably on UNNA.

If that doesn't work, use NewtonPress or NewtonBook Maker (also
probably on UNNA), but PaperBack served my needs for plain ol' text
books.

I used to keep a couple ebooks on my Newton and always keep some ebooks
on my Handera Palm unit, since it's always in my shirt pocket. And
since the Handera supports CF, SD, and MMC memory cards and I have a
128MB CF card (and can go all the way to a 1GB hard disk card) I can
(and do) have a TON of ebooks on hand at all times.

 - Bill