Re: [NTLK] *Must Have* apps?

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Aug 16 2001 - 14:36:49 EDT

on 16-08-2001 5:09, Paul Jones at paul.jones_at_rte.ie wrote:

> Just wondering what are the must have items for the 2x00?

Now you might have started quite a thread there ;-)

Freeware:

In the freeware department I would say that SimpleMail:
http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/town/road/aah66/
is a great email client, and best of all, it's still supported.

I also like Tasks (a little drop down menu that lists your open apps, very
much like the applications menu on a Mac, don't know if there's something
like that in Windows)
http://www.sbm.nu/englisch/newton/index.htm

For selecting text both in Notes and Works the best one is Nick's MarkIt:
http://www.logictools.de/newton/english/index.html

Avi's Backdrop is one of the best backdrops/heap savers around:
http://www.drissman.com/avi/newton/

Back on Top because your backdrop happens to have all these handy buttons
after a while and it's the fastest way to have them in front of you when you
need them.
Now I don't have a clue where I found that one, and I can't see it on Unna
either, did I miss it or should I mail you that one Victor ?

HeapMagic, because who doesn't want more heap free ?
http://homepage.mac.com/~gnue/lib/newton/HeapMagic1.0.sit.hqx

Shareware/Commercial:

The way the find function should have been in the Newton in the first place:
QuickFind
http://www.unna.org/unna/utilites/QuikFind/

The best Names enhancement according to me
(and believe me, I tried them all and liked very few) is Address Access:
http://people.freenet.de/thorsten_lange/
(some people love his navigation utility I++ as well, you'll find it on the
same page)

As a Dates enhancement you could use DateMan, (www.standalone.com) MoreInfo
(http://www.silverware.com/) or TimeTrax (http://www.config.de/TimeTrax/)
all have their fans, I would try a demo first.

Best supported browser (and only still supported browser as well ;-)
NewtsCape:
http://members.home.net/saweyer/newton/

Apart from these two you could try the two unsupported, but free, oldies,
Nethopper and Lunasuite.
http://www.unna.org/unna/internet/web-browsers/NetHopper3.2/
http://www.unna.org/unna/internet/LunaSuite-Pro-2_1Bc350EN/

BTW Victor, Lunasuite resides in the folder "Internet" and Nethopper in the
folder "browsers" in the folder "Internet'
Had me confused for a moment.

The two best to deal with the button bar, Gesture Launch
(http://www.newts.com/newton/glaunch30.html ) or DashBoard
(http://www.fivespeed.com

Of course open to other suggestions ;-)

Robert Benschop