Re: [NTLK] Missed commercial opportunities

From: Mark Fellows (mark.fellows_at_unitedmessaging.com)
Date: Thu Aug 16 2001 - 13:52:53 EDT

> The story behind this used to be on the web at
> web.nps.navy.mil/~alumni/spring2000.pdf, but it seems not to download any
> more... It's the Spring 2000 issue of the Naval Postgraduate School Alumni
> magazine.
>
> Paul F.

That URL worked, albeit slowly, for me. Interesting article. Newton was
used for the pilot project using Digital Ocean's Grouper radio packs. And,
although Groupers were based on Lucent's WaveLan chipset, it was pre-802.11,
900MHz technology. It's not clear what handheld platform was used when they
moved on to 802.11 testing, but since it was in late 1998 and early 1999 I
doubt it was Newton.

- Mark