[NTLK] -8007 error

From: Anton Balaban (antonbal_at_mail.ru)
Date: Thu Aug 16 2001 - 12:31:35 EDT

Hello!

I'm having troubles with my Newton (MP 130). On every restart I recieve an
error ""-8007"". I traced the problem to the Russian fonts I have
installed. The first font replaces system font (espy) with itself. But the
package of this font contains several other fonts (simple, fancy, casual) -
I cannot install them separately. These additional fonts do not replace
built-in fonts, they show up in Styles, but when I try to select them built-
in font appears instead. Because I slill need simple, fancy and casual to
be replaced with Russian ones I installed those fonts as separate packages.
They work, but I recieve this nasty error. When I remove (or freeze)
additional fonts the error disappears. I can't live without built-in fonts
being replaced (well, in fact I can, but would not like to), on the other
hand I'm afraid that this error -8007 does no good to my Newton. I had two
major crashes (brainwipe, restore from backup) and several quirks which I
think are caused by the error. Is it possible to get rid of the -8007 and
retain my fonts in the same time ? I see two ways: somehow disable
additional fonts in the first package (they do not work anyway) then they
should not conflict with fonts which I install separately. Or force
additional fonts in the first package replace built-in's, so I will not
need to install separate fonts. Is this possible? Maybe through some
modification of the first package or some utility? The best way would be to
get a separate package with only one system font, but I doubt that such
package exists (it should have Russian symbols in Unicode and Mac Cyrillic
encodings at the same time). If anyone knows a workaround for this problem
please help me.
By the way, this is my first experience in using original Newton OS HWR to
input considerable amount of' text (I'm usually input Russian characters
using FreeStyle app) and it's great, definitely not laughable.

Anton Balaban