Re: [NTLK] OS X

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Wed Aug 15 2001 - 16:17:04 EDT

>What is not possible for Mac OS X is to access an AppleShare server using
>AppleTalk -- only TCP/IP is supported in that direction.

You mean AppleTalk over IP, I guess. At least, it's what I've heard.

>As OS support
>for file sharing has nothing to with Classic vs. Carbon

No, I meant classic emulator vs. MacOS X.

>Classic
>totally relies on Mac OS X proper for driver support, so when some
>peripheral such as a scanner isn't supported by Mac OS X, it will not
>work under Classic either (you have to boot under Mac OS 9.1 to make it
>work). AppleTalk support under Mac OS X 10.0.4 isn't perfect, but it
>definitely exists, and that's why classic apps such as NCU can use it.

I thought that you could mount AppleShare volumes in Classic.

Anyway, there are things that X does and things that Classic software
can do. You mention a scanner, I'm not sure you're right here, but
since I don't have a scanner nor X, I'm probably wrong. But let's
take another example. X does have serial drivers (like X has SCSI or
USB drivers on top of which comes the scanner software), but X
doesn't have a Newton dock software. Nevertheless, NCU works properly
in Classic.

Paul

--
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/