Re: [NTLK] Newton in MacAddict

From: Paul Nuernberger (pen1_at_spiff.net)
Date: Mon Aug 13 2001 - 22:47:23 EDT

[comment inline]

> From: Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox_at_peorth.gweep.net>
>
> The HWR engine in Newton Intelligence 1.x series is laughable.

For some, maybe. My OMP recognized my writing from about day two with
enough accuracy to make it very useable. Printing ... well that came in
NOS2.0 and later.

> trouble; a version 1.x Newt can not recognize anything that they write. It
> is ironic in hindsight that Grafitti was created for the Newton
> specifically to address that shortcoming, long before the Palm Pilot.

I can't speak for those who are left-handed. That Grafitti was created
specifically to address the needs of left-handers (or even for that matter,
specifically for the Newton) is news to me. At that time in history there
were more than two true 'written input' recognizers. Paragraph & Grafitti
were just the 'best of the lot' in many ways (mainly they worked, mostly).

> The MP120, with the new engine, was an amazing difference. But by that
> point it was common knowledge that Newton's HWR sucked.

Obviously, you knew the difference, eh ?? Odd how the recognizer that
worked the best was written by Apple, in house. "Common knowledge equates
to mass stupidity" - can't attribute any better than to one of my
professors, first I heard it at least.

> And since Apple
> utterly failed to do anything to change that attitude... it has not
> changed.

Yeah, and according to all the experts, Apple has been dead for ten years
now - its just that nobody noticed the stink yet. I remember plenty being
said by Apple about the new, improved recognition.

You still can't prove (or disprove) a negative - like that old gag "so are
you still beating your wife?". Once again mass stupidity (sheep mentality,
intellectual laziness, call it what you like) wins out.

Paul Nuernberger