[NTLK] MP2K replacement :-( PSION vs. Palm - kind of long

From: Tom Spielman (tomspielman_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Aug 13 2001 - 17:08:38 EDT

I've already posted a message regarding my MP2K being for sale and
someone from the list is going to buy it. All that's left is to pack it
up and ship it and maybe a small, sad, ceremony :-(

My reason for selling it was because I now haul around a big laptop, -
often on my bike and on a city bus. The Newt got very little use in the
last several months because it was added weight and just another thing
to plug in once I got where I was going. Plus I had to free up some
funds for another computing device.

I do need a replacement, however, and was pretty much resigned to a palm
compatible with it's tiny screen.

One thing really nice about the Newt before I started lugging around the
laptop was the ability to use my bus ride to write e-mails and even
write some code (I'm a programmer). The wide screen let me do that.

I can't see doing that on a Palm. But, I just found out about some Sonic
Blue Diamond Mako's selling for under $100. They're basically a U.S
version of the PSION Revo+. They are pretty compact and have a nice wide
screen but plenty of downsides. Limited Mac compatibility, No backlight,
not terribly upgradeable, and not as much software as what's available
for Palms.

Any one have any opinions?

Thanks!