Re: [NTLK] OS X

From: Daniel Jackson (carpman_at_newtontracker.net)
Date: Mon Aug 13 2001 - 11:10:40 EDT

> So my theory is that if it doesn't require a special driver for the
> serial ports, it should work.
>
> -

The BSD core of OS X is more than capable of serial port access (the
iBook has an internal 56k modem, remember). the /dev/tty* (UNIX serial)
devices exist. Any USB->serial driver MUST use the /dev/tty* devices
because cocoa has no serial port access of it's own, it relies on the
BSD kernel's serial port system. Also, on my installation of OSX 10.0.4,
I have appletalk in the preferences panel under networking (it's only
visible when the ethernet is selected). Will this not do for all you you
rich guys with mp2ks, or is it not implemented yet?