Re: [NTLK] new reader with big problem

From: Gary Moody (gmoody_at_gmx.net)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 13:34:01 EDT

Hi Vicki,

The Communications Error (-1) is a very generic error, and can be caused by
(emate side) internal corruption of the data you are trying to export, a
problem with the serial port handshaking, or possibly a processor problem.

The document you are trying to export from the emate to the PC...was it
created with Works? Can you pull it up on the emate in works and scroll from the
first page to the last without errors? Are there any strange characters
displayed in the document, as displayed on the emate?

The "installing a package" comment measn to download a special Newton
program file, called a package (file type ".PKG") to the emate to see if it
installs correctly. Click on this link:
http://ottawa.unna.org/unna/games/GomokuPkg.pkg to download an example .pkg file (a small game), and then use NCU to
download the GomokuPkg.pkg file to the emate. Once completed, the GoMoku game
should appear in the unfiled folder of your Extras drawer on the emate. Tap
on it to see if it downloaded properly. If a grid playing board is
displayed, then NCU is indeed communicating with your PC.

Lastly, on PCs that have a processor speed of over 200Mhz, there is a known
issue where NCU has a problem communicating serially. There is a PC package
called slowdown.exe ( http://members.xoom.com/dburggraf/files/SlowDown.exe )
that you can download to your PC. Execute the file, and set the sliders
initially about halfway. Leave the program running and restart NCU and try the
export again to see if this might resolve the problem.

Good Luck! Please let us know what your findings are

Regards,

Gary