Re: [NTLK] Newton-friendly ISPs?

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2001 - 10:35:53 EDT

On Thursday, August 9, 2001, at 02:29 AM, Elliot Loh wrote:

> I've got an upgraded N2K with a modem card and I'm having problems
> dialing
> up to an AT&T Global Network account (this is a business ISP; I'm not
> sure
> if it's the same as AT&T Worldnet for the consumer).
>
> I read at landware.com that NIE doesn't suppor the PAT or CHAP-type
> logins
> that AT&T uses, but I have no idea if this information is
> current/correct.
> This would match the error message that I've gotten from NIE (a general
> one
> about PPP Negotiation failing, check connection authorization settings,
> username, password). I don't really know what Apple's NetTest utility
> is
> telling me ("GrabLink Failed.") I'm pretty sure it's not my modem
> set-up,
> since I'm able to dial numbers and get the carrier tones.
>
> What dial-up services are popular with Newton users? Earthlink?
> Qwest? Is
> the PAT/CHAP thing a likely issue?

I don't know about PAT/CHAP, but I've been using Earthlink a few times
and I've never had any problem. There's even an hidden page on the
Earthlink site that tells you how to configure your Newton for dialup
access. Sorry, I don't have the link handy but I'm sure someone on this
list has it.

-Laurent.