Re: [NTLK] AW: Re - Power was interrupted...

From: Humphreys, David (david.humphreys_at_honeywell.com)
Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 16:08:09 EDT

> I think I've found the culprit, and I'll apologize up front
> for failing
> to mention this earlier. First, Johannes, no, turning on the backlight
> does nothing to trigger a shutdown. Second, it appears ( to me - I may
> still be way off ) that the real culprit is my 20MB Flash RAM
> card. It's
> an Intel Series 2+ flexible voltage card. Leaving it out, I've had no
> problem putting in 6 contacts, 4 meetings, and typing lotsa notes with
> the keyboard. It's sitting in its case right now, showing me my
> appointments for the day, and I've been playing with it for
> about 2 hours
> now. All without the Flash RAM card, which _has_ been in during every
> other single time I've experienced it.

OK Zac,

Here is my 2c:

Given the facts presented so far, I would have to suspect the 20MB card
also.

But not for the same reasons.

Facts:

The unit works okay without the card.
The unit is not new.
PC Card connectors are fragile.
A loose connector can cause a reset.

My money is on either:

A bent pin on the PC Card connector.

A missing pin on the PC Card connector.

A broken connection to the MLB.

An intermittent in the card is possible too.

I think that physical movement of this dodgy connection when
entering data is to blame. This will also account for the
random nature of the problem.

Try the card in the other slot and see if it repeats.

Assuming that you don't have two dodgy slots, this should narrow
the field.

If you can try the card in another Newton or in a laptop that
will narrow the field even further.

If you want to send me the card, I will test it for you.

Contact me offlist for this.

mailto:pcbman_at_ix.netcom.com

Regards,

David Humphreys