Re: [NTLK] HP Infrared Inkjet Printers

From: Glenn Roe (myhome_at_cwnet.com)
Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 14:10:57 EDT

Laurent Daudelin wrote:

> I guess you need to use the PrintPack software package to get the
> appropriate driver, or can you print without it?
>
> Anybody knows if that printer could be used with a PowerBook G3 through
> IrDA?

No. Actually there are separate drivers built in for both HP 5MP & 340
IrDA printers, but it runs very slowly. There is an additional extension
called "HP IrDA Printers" that needs to be installed to make the
printing speed acceptable. When I first got the printer I posted to the
list about the slow speed and someone turned me on to the additional
extension. I think I got it either off the Apple or HP site. I believe I
inquired with HP about using the printer with my G3 powerbook thru IrDA,
and they informed me Macs were not supported. The Newton probably does
because of it's ability to use both Mac & PC printers.

Glenn Roe