[NTLK] AW: Power was interrupted...

From: Johannes Wolf (jwolf_at_xe.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 03:26:26 EDT

Zachery Bir wrote:

Hrm. Just did a new hard reset. Went into Dates, created some stuff, and
ZAP! turned itself off. Well, I guess I'll be opening it up tonight.
I've read David Humphrey's site, figuring that that's about all I'll need
to open it up. While I've got it open, I figured I'd clean the glass
nicely. Or should I just open it, fix the battery contact, and get it
back together?

Caveats, anyone?

[Johannes Wolf] It looks like a problem similar to the one I had:
I got an german MP2k1from store, only used a few times.
Turning it on I could start to enter the owner info and then (not every time at the same point) the Newt switched off.
But when I turned it on again, I got the message that the Newt had to reboot because of a system error.

The only solution I found was in hardware:
I totally depowered the Newt (it takes minimum 4 hours to discharge the supercap inside), opened it and removed the ROM-cartridge.
First I assumed bad contacts on the cartridge connector to the logic board, but this was not the case.
Now the really hard part comes: I inserted the ROM-Card from my old dead Newt (overvoltage).
Of course the Newt did not do anything, because the ROM-chips were damaged.
But inserting the original cartridge afterwards it came out that this procedure resulted in killing all installed patches and the Newt started normally with the original ROM-Version.
I still have some problems with this Newt, but it never switches down suddenly as before.
So I strongly assume that this is related to a wrong or damaged system patch.

The question is again: is there any other way to remove a system patch???

Johannes