Re: [NTLK] Krimson

From: esworp (esworp_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 23:55:28 EDT

there were (and still may be) a number of antiquated rural systems that
had 2600 pitch vulnerabilities. Krimson and Blue still work in most of
europe, too.

(this is what i get for being a internet criminology geek at fsu...)

On Tuesday, August 7, 2001, at 01:31 PM, James Elliott wrote:

> I thought that that the device used for phone phreaking was the blue
> box. I thought that they cracked down on that and changed the system
> long before the Newton.
>
> -James
>

>> Paul Nuernberger <pen1_at_spiff.net> wrote:
>>

>> A 'redbox' was a device that put out perfect tones to "phreak" the
>> phone
>> system into giving you, among other things, free calls.
>>
>> Paul Nuernberger
>>

>>> From: "Gregory J. Wayman" <gwayman_at_mac.com>
>>> Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 16:39:22 -0700
>>> To: newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
>>> Subject: [NTLK] Krimson
>>>

>>> I was going through some old shareware downloads and found this pkg,
>>> any
>>> ideas what it is. This is the read me (sounds kinda spooky, huh?)
>>>
>>> *** =B4=B4=B4=B4=B4=B4=B4=B4=B4=B4=B4=B4=B4 KRIMS=
>>> ON 1.0 =B4=B4=B4=B4=B4=B4=B4=B4=B4=B4=B4=B4=B4
>>> ***
>>>
>>> Krimson is a little app made for the Apple Newton. It's primary
>>> purpose is to be a redbox, thus the name "Krimson". The package is
>>> quite small (59K) and should do it's purpose well. There's two rules
>>> before installing this...
>>>
>>> 1) Don't use this utility to commit criminal acts and embarass
>>> yourself.
>>>
>>> 2) If you don't know what a redbox is, you shouldn't have downloaded
>>> this package.
>>>
>>> Remember, I am held in no way responsible for your actions regarding
>>> this program. It is provided as an educational tool only. Oh yeah,
>>> and
>>> the program includes a little tiny bit of help from Apple Dev.
>>> Support.
>>> (Apple wanted me to say that, so there you go). Have fun. --
>>> Torstein
>>>

>>> Greg
>>>

>>> --
>>>

>> ------------------------------
>>
>> From: Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox_at_peorth.gweep.net>
>> Subject: Re: [NTLK] 20 Mb linear card
>> Date: 06 Aug 2001 19:52:29 -0400
>>

>> * mark.fellows_at_unitedmessaging.com (Mark Fellows) on Mon, 06 Aug 2001
>> | So why does it say "Minimum bid: $100.00" in the Bidding section of
>> that
>> | auction?
>>
>> Because the seller doesn't understand how Dutch auctions work.
>> --
>> Rat <ratinox_at_peorth.gweep.net> \ Happy Fun Ball contains a liquid
>> core,
>> Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ which, if exposed due to rupture,
>> should
>> PGP Key: at a key server near you! \ not be touched, inhaled, or
>> looked at.
>>

>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 01:54:29 +0000
>> From: GUY MITTAUX <guy.mittaux_at_free.fr>
>> Subject: Re: [NTLK] 20 Mb linear card
>>
>> Except that for this card you cannot bid for less than $100 per card.
>>
>> Guy

>>> It's a dutch auction. there's an opening bid and you bid -lower-
> [...]
>>> that. The highest bid at the end (or in this case the highest
>>> successful
>>> bid) will win. So someone could in theory bid 10.00 for the card
>>> and if
>>> there are a lot of 'em, that's the price that everyone will get the
>>> card
>>> at. So I think it's a little bit too early to judge whether or not