[NTLK] My repaired Newt

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 11:58:09 EDT

Well, I got my Newt back from Apple. Like most people
on this list, I am impressed with what I got back (the
packing list indicates that my "monitor" was repaired!
The list of problems include:
1) Jaggies. Screen looses it’s calibration.
2) Main front cover broken.
3) Port cover missing.
4) Pen holder cracked.
5) Infra Red is not working.
6) Scratches on the screen.
7) Back clips that hold the front cover open not
working.
8) Dongle port not working properly.
9) Pen is missing.

(hint: even if you have the pen, tell them that the
pen is missing and they will replace it. It's always
nice to have a spare pen...and for $194...including
shipping...You are paying for it anyway!)

and they fixed everything and put it all in a new
case! It looks like a brand new Newt! I checked my
s/n's (both physical and electrical and they both
match what I sent them, so I know that this is the
same Newt!)
They even retained my upgrade to 2100!

One thing though...when I restored my Newt from
backup, I then performed a search on Notes and got an
error when trying to select an item. I got this error
whenever I used a search to select an individual item
from the resulting list. I never had this problem
before...Searching the FAQ, I found that the OS Patch
710031 fixed a similar problem (I was running 717260)
I installed this patch and my search problems went
away...
Has anyone else experienced this? Not that I'm
complaining, but it is a little odd considering that
this is the exact same Newt (according to my s/n's)
with just repaired parts and new plastic!

And, while it feels a little weird with the Newton
looking so new and all, it is nice to have my Newton
appendage (as my wife calls it) reattached where it
belongs.

Ed
web/gadget guru

=====
note: This does not constitute a sig file...