Re: [NTLK] Apple's TIL retired - somewhat OT

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_home.com)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 11:18:23 EDT

on or about 8/7/01 11:05 AM, the following may or may not have been typed by
Bill davis newton at newton_at_mail.ecity.net:

Actually, my one machine is a PowerCenterPro w/ a G3 card in it (the other
is a 7600 that I put a 180 604e card in). These machines certainly run OS
8/9 fairly well, but probably don't stand a chance in blue blazes of ever
running OS X.

BTW, my pickup is a 1986 model. I drive my vehicles until their value is
negligible. But I get what you're saying. Perhaps Apple should do what the
auto makers have done and try to get people hooked on leasing.

> The long useful life of Macs (and Newtons) is a "plus" to us as
> customers....but I think a detriment to Apple and even it's
> developers.
>
> Think how many times Windoze users typically upgraded their PC's in the
> time period between your Plus and your PPC. Think of all the money the
> PC companies made.
>
> Now think of all the money Apple DIDN'T make because you didn't switch
> from a Plus to something newer until the PPC's came out (7-10 years).

Actually, there was a 660av in there, when I went to using two computers.
At this point, with the Duos I got last year, there's 5 computers for 4
people (plus my MessagePad 130). I can't imagine doing that with PCs.

> And this happens a LOT with Macs. My mother is still using a Mac IIci
> made in the late 1980's. (I just got her a G3 laptop)
>
> But this long life sure doesn't happen much with PC's (except maybe
> small-time server machines). It's called planned obsolesence, coupled
> with technology advancement. And it's what drives the PC market.
> Apple didn't participate in the planned obsolesence part....and thus is
> penalized in market share, sales, etc. Sure, they made some stupid
> decisions here and there too (such as not licensing the OS for years)
> but I think people using their Macs for a lot longer than a typical PC
> gets used has something to do with Apple not being #1. That and the
> fact that most people won't pay for quality. Then wonder why they have
> to keep paying and paying and paying....
>
> Apple didright by it's customers, but screwed itself out of a lot of
> sales it's competitors were getting in a similar time period.
>
> Therefore, I do not blame them a bit for saying "if you haven't
> upgraded since the G3's came out.....why should we support you any
> more?".

There's a positive way to do the same thing -- trade-ins. That would seem
like a cheap investment to shift the population over to OS X capability
sooner.

> My G3 laptop was purchased in 1998, and there was a G3 laptop before
> that. I don't recall when the G3 chip was first released, but I'd say
> it's at least 1997 and perhaps earlier. So, if you haven't purchased a
> new Mac in 4 or 5 years or more, perhaps it's time to get something
> more up to date. Support Apple, or they'll go away. (Actually, that's
> probably not totally true. Everybody's been predicting the demise of
> Apple since the Mac came out 17 or so years ago, and guess
> what....THEY'RE STILL HERE and doing well, selling millions of Macs
> every year. But more sales can't hurt!) After all, the G4 chip has
> been out for sometime, and the G5 is due next year.
>
> Also...the response from Apple said that they are working on adding
> back the feature that was wanted to the new Knowledgebase.

Well, I hope Apple works hard on this whole Knowledgebase thing. I'm just
worried that they're going to end up like Microsoft, where you can
essentially NEVER find any useful information. Making it harder to find
info on older Macs is going to hurt them somewhat in the education market,
which is, of course, probably the biggest hotbed of users of ancient Macs.

- Eric.