Re: [NTLK] newton rip clone?

From: Herb Rabbin (hrabbin_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Aug 03 2001 - 20:14:25 EDT

Hey all,

Here is a great article from As The Apple Turns. I couldn't pass it up
for the group, if you haven't seen it.

"Newton Reborn... Sort Of" As the Apple Turns

Here's the announcement that all you "Apple handheld" rumorhounds have
been waiting for: the Newton is back! That's right, people, Apple
apparently finally decided to jump feet-first back into the PDA game by
reviving the product it killed three years ago. It seems that this latest
iteration of Newton technology features all the standard applications
that you've come to expect in a handheld organizer-- "phone, address and
memo books, scheduler, calculator, to-do lists, expense manager-- even an
alarm clock!" But that's not all; it's also Microsoft Outlook-compatible,
has a "high-tech design," and even comes with "an easy to use stylus"!
Somebody pinch us, we're dreaming!

Hmmm... you know, on second thought, now that we look at this thing,
we're not convinced it's actually a Newton at all. When faithful viewer
Michael Grey forwarded us a link to the RoyalTouchpad Organizer, we just
naturally assumed that it was a redesigned Newton with a new product
name. It's an honest mistake, after all; just look at the logo on this
thing's power button. Doesn't it seem somehow familiar? Still, we suppose
we should have been tipped off earlier by this thing's $39.99 price tag
and its "huge 384K memory"-- not to mention the fact that its design is
ugly enough to frighten small children.

You have to admit, though-- that logo bears more than a passing
resemblance to the Newton's distinctive little light-bulb glyph. You can
bet that if Apple were still cranking out MessagePads these days, the
company's lawyers would be all over these "Royal" guys like ants on a
picnic cheese log. Say, we've got a great idea! Forget all the talk about
an Apple-branded Palm OS device; Apple needs to sign a licensing
agreement to get its mitts on this little gem. It's already got a Newton
logo on it, after all, so adding an Apple logo is a perfectly logical
next step. One quick rebranding later, and bickety-bam-- instant $40
Apple PDA! What more could you
possibly want? (Apart from a handheld that doesn't suck, we mean.)
Here is the original URL http://www.appleturns.com/#3

Here is the URl for the photo of it. You've just got to look at the icon
on the center power button.

http://www.heartlandamerica.com/Images/LargeImages/84933Large.jpg

Is there no justice??

Herb