Re: NTLK copyrights

From: jimthej (jimthej@pacbell.net)
Date: Sun Sep 10 2000 - 10:04:30 CDT

on 9/10/00 7:32 AM, Chris Browder at Chris.Browder@Lroom.org wrote:

> Well, Don, You'd hate most any high school report. Because rarely do any of
> us contact an author for a photo's rights. And what about copying like my
> senior picstures? Well, I've got a great 8x10 I made. Is that illeagle? It's
> MY photo, but someone ELSE'S copyright...
To back up Don and to help Chris, my school district, with a team of lawyers
has a copyright policy statement that are the guidelines for fair use it is
3 pages back and front closely typed.
To use the situations here, the school report, given to the teacher,
returned to the student, consigned to the wastebasket, or the box of
memorabilia is probably fair use. The same report published on the web as
part of an electronic portfolio is pushing the issue, and probably needs
permission. The same report offered for sale on the report black market is a
definite violation.
Reproducing the photo, even for your own use, unless the photographer gave
you the rights to it (icicles hanging from Lucifer's nose) is definitely a
violation.
As to the T-shirt reproductions, since it is a sample of the entire work, it
would be smart to get the author's permission. Let him and his publishers
worry about reproduction rights from the original designers/owners.

Jim Johnston
Teacher
Mac Smacker
Newton User