Re: NTLK screen dim & hum (switch out backlight?)

From: John Mark Davis (backlot@swbell.net)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 07:15:18 CDT

> The hum probably is from the backlight. This is mentioned in the FAQ as
> being from the power transformer that runs the light. As for the screen
> diming, I don't really know. The backlights slowly get dimmer over time
> with more use and have a unknown half-life (also talked about in the FAQ)
> so, unless the backlight was replaced with the screen, it could just be
> geting old.

Thank you, JM. I did happen to read the FAQ before your post and found the
same answers. While Apple replaced the screen, I'm assuming that the
backlight is a separate unit and was not replaced.

I have this backup Newton, the screen is brighter and there is no hum, but
the case is not in the best of shape. I was wondering can I take apart my
Newtons and switch out the backlight and transformer? Or is this a major
electronics undertaking?

--
John Mark Davis
backlot@macconnect.com