NTLK Styli for Newton

From: Hamilton, George (George.Hamilton@msfc.nasa.gov)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 13:04:55 CDT

I've been gathering Newton styli for a rainy day, and recently got a 6 pack
of eMate original styli from Small Dog Electronics at $1.50 each (I think
the MP 2K stylus is about $20!). As you probably know the eMate stylus fits
MP 2K, same overall length (within a few millimeters-eMate is shorter), only
the non business end is different, but it fits and locks in the MP 2K. The
eMate stylus has a threaded metal tip holder about an inch long, while the
MP 2K is all metal, thus one can't refurbish the MP 2K stylus just by
swapping the threaded metal tip holder from the eMate. The eMate is built
like the 120/130 series telescoping or desktop model stylus, but the eMate
is smaller in diameter. The message is that while the design is the same
(eMate to 130) the tips are not interchangeable.

Have not tried removing just the plastic tip from eMate stylus and
transplanting into MP 2K aluminum stylus, but the purists might consider it.

Also got a 24 pack box of all plastic, rainbow colored "throwaway styli" for
eMate ($2/box-that's economy!) from Small Dog. They are very lightweight,
and of course also fit & lock in MP 2K. I'll use those for
"loaners".--george

PS If anyone needs a MP 2K flip cover, they are still available from Apple
Fulfillment (888-273-3594), but you need to have the part # ready for them
(922-3306, I think). People on Newton Classifieds are trying to sell them
for $25!
George S. Hamilton
MS ED42
MSFC AL 35812