Re: NTLK Re: MacOS X?

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin@fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 10:49:25 CDT

Khaled Tewfik wrote:

> on 8/31/00 5:05 PM, Bradley Smith at BradleyS@artisansw.com wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Saw your post on the Newton Mailing list.
> > I'm going to be writing Mac applications to exchange data with Newton
> > devices.
> > I've never programmed the Mac before but have been programming
> > professionally for over 12 years.
> >
> > I want to program for Mac OS X as I understand it has a new API (Cocoa). The
> > problem I have is how do I get onto a developer program at Apple that will
> > allow me a developer preview of Mac OS X?
> >
> > Any advice appreciated.
> >
> > Brad
> >

> Hi Brad,
> I'm glad to here of your intentions, and glad to have a programmer in the
> Newton fold, it is a scarce commodity.
>
> But, I am afraid I can not help you much, I am not a programmer nor a
> developer, though I certainly have ideas for Newton programs (particularly
> games) that I can only dream of doing.
>
> I would suggest searching the Apple web site, there must be some clues
> there.
>
> BTW, I did not claim to have OS x developer release, I just saw OS X movie
> demos and noticed the similarity of the save dialogue box, sorry if I have
> misled any one, or misrepresented my self.
>
> Regards

Brad,

IIRC, you need to buy a "Select" developer membership from Apple for
$500 a year. This will provide you with seeding software, including OS
X. More infos on Apple developer programs can be found at
<http://developer.apple.com/membership/>.

As a side note, Steve Jobs has announced at the Seybold that a public
beta version of OS X will be available on September 13. So, you should
be able to download it or probably get it on a CD for a nominal fee.

-Laurent.
Laurent Daudelin Developer, Adaptive Infrastructure, CIS
Fannie Mae Washington, DC, USA
Phone: 703-833-4266 mailto:Laurent_Daudelin@fanniemae.com