Re: NTLK Re: eMate Charger

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin@fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 09:16:36 CDT

Alex Timbol wrote:

> >>I just bought 3 eMates on saturday. They are all unused and came with
> >>cdr-copies of the eMate Connectivity CD, a serial cable and a power
> >adapter.
> >>This last item is the problem: it is providing 7.5 V/1.33A. When having the
> >>eMates connected a warning is displayed after +/- 1 minute, saying "The
> >>adapter is providing too much power. The battery cannot be charged with
> >this
> >>adapter."
>
> I'm using a Powerbook 1xx 7.5V 24W charger to charge my Newton. This is
> probably too much CAPACITY for the newton: the brick doesn't even get
> warm.
> I could probably charge three newtons simultaneously before the brick
> gets
> warm.

Wow! 24W??? The latest power adapter is rated 9W. Have you been using it
for some time? I've heard that the Newton was very sensitive to too much
power, I'm by no mean an expert in the matter, but 24W as opposed to 9W
seems to be a lot...

-Laurent.
Laurent Daudelin Developer, Adaptive Infrastructure, CIS
Fannie Mae Washington, DC, USA
Phone: 703-833-4266 mailto:Laurent_Daudelin@fanniemae.com