NTLK Swapping guts

From: Gruendel, Frank 3837 PPE-WT (Frank.Gruendel@de.heidelberg.com)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 05:32:58 CDT

>So i'm sure it would help a lot if you or
>Dave could write together a detailed and hopefully foolproof
>how-to-documentation for dismantling and transplanting the Newt to a new
>case, with all due care.
>(contrary to Frank Gruendel, i'm not yet convinced this does involve
>soldering on an SMD scale 8^)

Well, I've never dismantled a 2x00 so far, but for the 130 the only way
to get at the screws that hold the display unit is take out the main
logic board. Taking out the main logic board of a 130 means the following:
1) Unsolder a thick red and a thick black wire (power supply)
2) Unsolder a thin red and a thin black wire (backlight)
3) Unsolder the two ends of a flat cable (4 soldering joints)
4) Unlock two connectors and extract the flat cables very, very carefully.
5) Hgrmmm... what on earth is the english word for "use a screwdriver to
   turn a screw counterclockwise until it comes out"??? Could a kind soul
   please post this? However, you need to do this 5 times. Then and only
   then can you take out the main logic board which will allow you to get
   at the screws that hold the display unit.

The last time I did this, I created a short between a power supply wire
and an adjacent smd resistor. It took me some time to get rid of that, and
when I checked the result under a magnifying glass I saw that at some time
during this process I had created a short between the two resistor
terminals.
Which took me some time to remove.

Frank

....yes, my soldering gun has the smallest tip available...
....no, I didn't have alcohol during the 24 hours preceding the repair...