Re: NTLK Battery Drain When Power Off

From: Marco Mailand (Marco.Mailand@psi.ch)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 01:59:56 CDT

Doug Fuss wrote:
> Has anyone else experienced this sort of
> thing?
Not only experienced, I've measured! Its about a half milli Ampere which
is drawn all the time if the Newton is switched off. That is
1Ah/0.5E-3A=2000h= 83days. But this is excluded 83 times the energy
drawn during the 3min (or whatever you've set in Sleep prefs) each
morning, at 3a.m. It is approximately 60*0.05h*60mA= 180mAh which is
about 20% of the accu capacity.

Let's say after 2 months w/o recharging the average accu (not my nasty
Varta cells) is discharged down to 10% or so.

> Do some packages activate and drain power?
The measured 0.5mA is including a 32MB Pretec card and a 28.8kBps modem
(or PN895 ethernet card, I don't remember). I can think only of the
DeepSleep package which extends the period of higher power consumption
(in deep sleep mode) by whatever is set as deep sleep time (typically a
half hour). But I've not measured the current in that deep sleep mode.
DeepSleep caused to much conflicts with other pkgs.

--

Regards / Viele Gruesse

Marco Mailand

http://www.psi.ch/SLS http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing *************************************** NewtonTalk brought to you by: