NTLK ID this card maker? dead? FLASH RAM...

From: Brian McEwen (brian@bmcewen.cvm.okstate.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 22 2000 - 19:02:05 EDT

Well it looks like one of my less-than-a-year-old 4 meg card has serious
troubles; I turned on the MP120/2.0 that it had been working fine in, and
the card was seen as "new". Trying to bring it up in a couple different
MPs failed (another MP120/2.0, and a MP130), so I erased it. It erases
fine, although the 1st time I erased I had to do it by having prefs open
when the card was inserted.

Now I can only put 100k or so on it before I get install errors during
install ("unknown error") or sometimes other during package install. I was
just getting Error 8 (not -8) when toggling the "Save info on card" button
as well, or inserting the card, also sometime "365008504" and "unknown
error" as well upon card insertion. If I try and pop it out after a failed
install, I get a dialog box that "the newt needs this card" but it never
unmounts it, although the dialog box goes away. It has problems....and now
I cannot even put 100k on it successfully...

Anyway I figure it's dead, but before I give up on it, I'd like to try and
reformat it in a laptop. My Mac laptop doesn't have PCMCIA, but my wife's
Dell laptop does, and I've got the Intel drivers on that laptop (for the
5/5V cards that Paul was selling- I bought one back before anyone realized
that they were the one 5/5V card that would not work on an MP130).

But- this 5/12V card (from Tima Scientific, I am pretty sure- will have to
check receipts) has no manufacturer name on it. So I don't want to try it
with the 5/5V intel drivers I have on the laptop yet....so I'm hoping
someone will recognize the description and tell me a brand so I can find
the correct PC drivers to test it with.

It's got a logo over 3/4 of the card, a checkerboard of 2 green and 2 blue
squares, green squares are a 1/4 of a crosshatched circle w/ a Nike-type
swoosh on it, the blue squares just contain a cross-hatched 1/4 crcle.
Text on front is "4MB FLASH", text on back tell you not to drop it, etc,
it's a "PC Card Member Company", letters C E, and p/n FJN-004MBR. It's
5/12V.

I'm assuming its a Pretec as some of their part #'s are in a similar
format; but I don't find this particular P/N on their web site.

Can I just use any Intel 5/12V driver (from Intel web site) as most of the
FLASH RAM cards are Intel compatible?

If anyone knows what drivers to use for this card under Win95, or who
indeed makes it, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks!

Brian

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!