Re: NTLK Newton book format

From: Victor Rehorst (vrehorst@newted.dyndns.org)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 21:00:26 EDT

Jim,

I tried doing this very thing a few months ago. After grappling with
Newton Press and unsuccessfully trying Newt's Cape (the file was just too
big - I ran out of heap on my UMP2k) I started from the plaintext version
of the Jargon file nad started building an RTF version suitable for
BookMaker *by hand*. I think I got up to E before I started losing my
sanity and put it aside. It sounds like you haven't heard of Bookmaker
yet though - it would probably be the best tool for the job. Downloads
and docs are available at my Newton Cage site:

-Victor Rehorst - victor@eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca | vrehorst@newted.dyndns.org-
-Newton Resources: your place for the Newton Cage, Ethernet info, and more!-
----------------http://eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca/~victor/newton/----------------

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Jim Anderson wrote:

> I'm trying to generate a Newton book version of the Jargon file,
> which is somewhere around 2.3MB. I've used Newton Press in the past to make
> some small books, but it's a little to awkward for my tastes. Using
> NewtsCape to do the job would work, except that the size of the file makes
> me wince. It seems to me that it would be really cool if I could write a
> filter to convert an HTML file to either a Newton book or a Newton Press
> file, preserving the formatting and links. I've hacked around with the file
> formats a little, and they seem to be moderately complex. Is there a
> description of these formats floating around anywhere? I don't see them in
> the Newton programming docs.

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!