Re: NTLK Problems with eMate battery?

From: Robert Benschop (robertbenschop@bigfoot.com)
Date: Sun Apr 09 2000 - 15:16:19 EDT

on 09-04-2000 3:59, Kenneth Wong at ghoonk@mailworld.net wrote:

> Having another problem now. My girlfriend's eMate 300 has a strange
> rebooting problem. Despite having charged her Newton overnight and having it
> diaply a full charge, occassionally it starts up and reboots, followed by an
> error message indicated that the 'Newton restarted because all power was
> removed'.
>
> This problem started after I installed the NewerRAM memory upgrade, but I
> have open up the unit several times to check if the battery connection had
> come loose. Connection seemed alright, and I'm at my wit's end on dealing
> with this problem. Sometimes, after the Newton restarts, I'm requested to
> re-calibrate the pen.

If it reboots by itself there's something wrong, but the 'Newton restarted
because all power was removed' is actually "normal" with some memory
upgrades.

> Another thing: I would like to get my hands on a few more eMate batteries
> just in case I'm not able to get them later. Where can I find such
> batteries, and how much should I expect them to cost? Having taken out the
> batteries several time before, I have noticed that they look suspiciously
> like AA cells. Is there any way that I can replace them with normal alkaline
> batteries? It would be interesting if someone could develop replacement AA
> battery packs for the eMate, with a snap-on cover so it wouldn't require the
> Torx screwdriver to remove the original panel at the back.

Don't bother, if you're any good with a soldering iron (and I'm talking just
basic soldering skills this time) you can replace the battery pack if it
would ever go bad.
Just buy 4 NiMH 1200 mAh batteries with soldering lips on them, open the
eMate with a torx 8 screwdriver (which you already have if you installed the
memory upgrade) take apart the battery pack (quite simple) and remove the
electronic components (sorry, been a while that I've done this, don't
remember exactly what they were) resolder everything on the new cells,
reconnect and you're done.
BTW, don't forget to make a backup (or two ;-) before you do this, I think I
lost all info on my eMate, but I'm not 100% sure about that anymore.
To do all this is actually so easy that to develop a replacement battery
pack would never be a good business idea, don't forget that a new battery
pack will be good for probably another 3 to 4 years and the work involved
will maybe take half an hour the first time.

Robert Benschop

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!