NTLK PDA's: One's Not Enough! (Was Newton Successor)

From: Dr. Peter Rand (h9752220@botanix.wu-wien.ac.at)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 13:08:58 EDT

Hi Kenny,
------
Peter, why is your mail identified as Steve Weyer?
------
I don't know - I can only say I'm honored!

------
Yes, I would be interested. You have always given a Newton user's view of other hand helds and I think on this list, it makes perfect sense. BTW, are you able to transfer or share any Newton info with your Psion Revo?
------
Depends on what you mean by information. One of the key issues facing anybody with more than 1 PDA is how to manage data on both and avoid unnecessary duplication. After struggling with this issue for a few months, I've come up with the following solution which works for me:
The Revo (which I always have with me) is where I keep the master copy of all my Names and Dates info. I back this data up to Outlook 98 on my desktop, and using Outlook, then copy the updated names over to the Newton. I don't keep any Dates info on the Newton, since I find the Revo Agenda is much more flexible, and has an alarm volume that will knock your socks off (I missed a number of appointments in the past either because I didn't have my Newton with me or didn't hear the Palm's anemic alarm - these things just don't happen with the Revo).

I love the power and flexibility of Newt's Cape, and the Newton's bigger screen, thus prefer the Newton for off-line web-browsing. As much as I like InkSpot, it can only download about 15 articles per minute from a newsgroup. Revo downloads them 4 to 5 times as fast (60 - 80 articles per minute), so as long as I have to pay for phone time, I use the Revo to read newsgroups. (Revo can also download mail about 4x faster than Newton, but I still like SimpleMail because there are so many ways it lets me manipulate data).

I do most of my brainstorming on the Newton, and all my financial and database stuff on the Revo. The built-in spreadsheet is a dream (print-outs look fantastic).

Right now I can shift texts back and forth between the Newton and Psion over the desktop or via email, and I'm eagerly awaiting a version of BackTalk that will let me beam stuff using only the IR ports. That will be a major improvement. If you're interested in more details, I found a Revo review on PDA-Buzz:
http://206.245.177.32/Reviews/Detailed/Psion_Revo.html

I'd also be interested in hearing how others on this list deal with more than one PDA.

Peter

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!