Re: NTLK ~Loading the PPP driver!?!~

From: Josh Burker (Josh_Burker@misd.wednet.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 18:38:11 EST

charan@olypen.com writes:
>Hi,
>
> I got a Message Pad 2000 off eBay and am trying to get it set up. I
>have found a number of FAQs and even a few manuals (my MP2K came with no
>information or software). I have an Apex 14.4 PCMCIA modem plugged in
>it. And the MP tells me I have a communications card in the slot. I
>downloaded and installed all the packages in the NIE 2.0. I can't make
>a connection. When I start Newtscape and request a page to be loaded I
>get a little connection window that says, "connecting" and then "Loading
>the PPP drivers.." nothing else happens. It makes me think I didn't get
>all the software I needed. Or, do I need a modem script?
>
> What do I need? Where do I get it?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Randy
>--
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>Randy and Cheyanne
>Port Townsend, WA, USA,
>on the shores of Puget Sound

Cool, another Washington state Newton user!

Well Randy, it looks like you modem is not supported. I looked on the
Danish Newton Users Group site (www.dnug.dk (which by the way is an
indispensable site for us Newton users everywhere)) and they did not have
a modem driver for it.

So, you can try this: Use as generic of a modem setup as possible (i.e.
Hayes 14.4) and see if you can get the Newton to dial using the different
driver. There is a package out there to "hack" or modify modem scripts
(help me out here somebody with a URL; it's $5 shareware), and that might
get it working.

I bought my MP2K used, with a modem card. I never could get the modem to
work in my Newton (it recognized the card as a communication card but
would hang at the exact same point yours does), so I got an old Teleport
Platinum that hooks up via the dongle to the serial port; it works
beautifully (though not as fast as my Ambicom ethernet card!).

Hope that's of some help; email me off list if you want more help.

Josh

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!