Re: NTLK

From: Michael J. Hussmann (michael.hu@macmagazin.de)
Date: Mon Mar 27 2000 - 10:00:13 EST

Greg Goodwin (Greg.Goodwin@fmlynet.org) wrote:

>GEM - Wish I could enlighten more on this one. I'm wanting to say
> Digital Research on this one, but it doesn't quite sound right.
> They had their own graphical interface that Atari corp would
> employ for their new ST (Sixteen/Thirty-two bit) computers.
> GEM was a graphical interface much like a Macintosh and yet with
> the PC system of DOS that was licenced from IBM and renamed TOS.

"Digital Research" was correct. GEM was announced in 1984, and for some
time, it wasn't at all clear whether GEM or Windows would win the GUI war
on the Intel platform. Digital Research also had an OS for the Motorola
68K called CP/M 68K.

I remember that around '79/80, when I was a computer science student,
there was much talk about user interfaces with multiple windows and mice,
hot research topics back then. I guess it's safe to say that we would all
be using GUIs by now in any case, with or without Apple.

Michael J. Hussmann

Redaktion macmagazin
Leverkusenstrasse 54 VII
D-22761 Hamburg