NTLK Re: Newton and CDMA data

From: Bill Benson (benson@math.lbl.gov)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 14:34:13 EST

Inspired by others on this list, esp. Doug Fuss, I just wanted to report
success connecting from a 2100 to my ISP via a CDMA wireless phone. In this
case using a Qualcomm 2760, service from Sprint PCS, the "GSM Ericsson"
modem setup, and the cable from the Sprint brand Data Connectivity kit for
this model (~$50 from Circuit City vs. $80 from the (former) Qualcomm store
and $200 from Sprint online - presumably all the same). Also needs a DB9 to
Din8 adapter to fit the dongle, of course.

The modem setup appears to only allow connections up to 9600.
Bumping this up to 14.4 with Modem Modifier causes the connection to fail
immediately. I couldn't find the "PCS 1900 / Nokia 2190" setup on the DNUG
version of NewtonMAD. Does anyone have a better pointer?

If anyone is interested, there's other good info about Sprint connections
at http://www.sentman.com/mac_pcs.html and
http://home.earthlink.net/~fureydave/palmpilot_sprintpcs.html

-Bill Benson, benson@math.lbl.gov

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the