NTLK RE : Some Newbie Questions

From: Ryan Hitch (r.hitch@physics.hull.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 07:21:39 EST

> On Mon, Mar 20, 2000 2:43 AM, Anthony Helm <mailto:kajiai@msua.ac.jp>
> wrote:
> > 1. 1 PCMCIA slot: How best to work with the internet? My current idea is
> > copy the internet programs to a memory card until needed. Then, copy back
> > the Internal storage, pop out the memory card, pop in the modem card and
> > surf. When finished, repeat the process.
>
> I have a 130 instead of an eMate, so my advice may not be valid, but I find
> it easier, and more useful to keep only the internet software on internal
> store. All other packages go on my card. This gives me more storage space
> for email, but also, when I eject the card, all my programs and extensions
> are unmounted, leaving me much more heap for internet. I've done this since
> my 120, and find it quite useful for email.
>
> That said, it would seem to me, that on an eMate, you don't need to be
> worried about heap and storage. It should have enough for everything.
>
> > 2. I'm looking at Simple Mail and NewtScape as the best combination for
> 'net
> > work. Any comments?
> >
> Considering these are the only two still-supported programs, and they are
> both at the top of their class, I would say that I agree with you. :-)

I'm with you on Simplemail, although I've always prefered NetHopper
(3.2) over NewtsCape for webbrowsing, having said that, with an eMate
you should have enough space to install both. If you have trouble
locating V3.2 of Nethopper (I seem to remember my eMate only came with
3.0) then email me and I'll see what I can do. Also you might consider
the following apps... Ink Spot for Newsreading, PT100 for Telnet access,
NewtFTP for FTP-ing and I think somebody released a client for messaging
the other day (ICQ, Instant messanger etc, I think it's called NewtJab).
Once I get around to sticking all these on my MP2000 I'll have a
perfectly acceptable Internet tool (groovy!) and Hemlock is a nice
program to have on there too (it searches a selectable group of search
engines and gives you a nicely organised list of the results (it uses
Mac Sherlock plugins too).

Anyway, there's my 2pence thrown in :-)

Yours Sincerly,
Ryan

--
"You had the perfect job called life, you didn't like it - you resigned"
								Silverchair

****************************************** This NewtonTalk Message brought to you by:

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the Internet. Visit EVOTE.COM for all the latest news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!