Re: NTLK What in the world is this?

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 02:19:56 EST

On 3/18/2000 8:29 PM, Victor Rehorst [mailto:victor@gear.torque.net]
wrote:

>On Sat, 18 Mar 2000 ThisOlNewt@aol.com wrote:
>
>> I was browsing e-bay and came across this......
>>
>> http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=284377339
>
>It's a GRiD. I guess you could call it part of the first generation of
>pen-based computers (along with the AT&T Eo, and a few others). This is
>obviously pre-Newton. I've never actually seen or used one, but I think
>Bill Davis has one. Off the top of my head, they run Intel 80386
>processors and used to use Windows 3.1 for Pen Computing (a special hacked
>together version of Windows).

Nope. I don't have a GRiD I have an NCR 3125 slate, circa 1992, which
runs PenPoint (or could run Windows for Pen if I had the software and a
floppy drive, which I don't).

The GRid's predated that. I don't think they ran Windows, either (well,
maybe later ones did, but not at first.). I could be wrong, though. I
remember seeing them in BYTE Magazine. One of 'em was pretty neat, very
like the Vadem Clio. All predated the Newton by quite a few years.

  -Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = GOT A NEWTON QUESTION? Visit: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!