Re: NTLK LCD Display

From: Rick Berry (rick_berry@carry-safe.com)
Date: Sat Mar 18 2000 - 17:29:54 EST

PCBman,

I've just gone thru this.

I called Apple service, and was told I'd have to pay the $49 "per-incident
technical support fee" before they'd even talk to me, even before they told me
whether screen replacement was still available, much less quoting me the cost
of the repair.
To this I said "bullshit" and asked to speak to Customer Relations.
The customer relations agent was professional and competent, and made an
exception to the normal policy, once I assured him that:
1) I didn't need -any- technical support,
2) I only wanted a repair to a part that I could see was broken
3) I wouldn't require anything but a "dispatch" for the repair.

All three of those are critical points.

The cost was quoted to me as $187.69 for my MP2000, including shipping three
ways.
Apple Service sent me an empty padded box and a FedEx shipping label to return
the Newton to Apple for repair.
I'm still waiting to get my unit back, but I expect it Monday.

Instructions for sending it in:
If at all possible, make a backup and wipe the Newton.
If you have a password on it, supply the password (attach a sticky-note or
something)
Take out EVERYTHING except the pcmcia card blanks. Take off the door, etc.
The foam will protect the unit in shipment, and it's insured, anyway, thru
FedEx.

I hope my experience helps you get yours fixed.

Let us know what happens.

~Rick Berry

----------
>From: "David Humphreys" <pcbman@ix.netcom.com>
>To: <newtontalk@planetnewton.com>
>Subject: NTLK LCD Display
>Date: Sat, Mar 18, 2000, 12:08
>

>Hi All,
>
>I need to find a replacement screen for my MP2000.
>Who has these?
>Who is doing these repairs?
>
>TIA
>
>PCBman