NTLK Re: ZAC: Palm Emulator Questions

From: Gary Moody (gmoody@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 16:15:18 EST

Hi Zack,

Okay, fair enough, I know you would have to be awfully busy to accomplish
this task. So just one more question: What time frame do you estimate that
you will have a demo or prototype? I'm not looking for an exact date,
something general, like in months?

I'm just trying to determine, for my own edification, if you are really on
the level here. Last year, around this time (April 1st, April Fool's day),
a "developer" announced a Palm emulator for the Newton, complete with
elaborate web site, etc. Pissed off a *lot* of people when it was just an
April Fool's joke! Year before that, it was NewtQuake
(http://www.emeraldnet.net/~ravenous/NewtonQuake/intro.htm). Same thing. I
really don't want our folks to have to go through this a third time.

Now, just some observations:
1. You *seem* very young - not neccesarily a *bad* thing, but very eager to
tackle a project that the most grizzled (and knowledgable) old-timers
wouldn't touch.
2. You've advertised for programmers rather non-specifically, leading me to
believe that maybe you're not as technically adept as you would like.
Indeed, you have personally claimed no skills other than web-building,
correct?
3. You consistently said "ask me questions", but just as consistently
avoided answering them, especially when they inquire about the more
technical topics.
4. The project management method *seems* to be "lets just all jump in here
and get it done" versus a more structured and analytical approach which will
be needed to make progress on a project of this scale and complexity.

You're an unknown quantity, a newcomer to the list. I've never seen any
Newton program attributable to you, or any program for any machine. I have
no idea of your qualifications or propensity to get it done. So, I'm
curious. I've been trying to teach myself NewtonScript for over a year with
limited, small scale success but not even close to the level of success you
would have to have to do a project of this complexity.

Now I may be completely off-base here, you may be some kinda
super-developer, experienced in all major OSs and languages including the
more interesting ones like Dylan or SmallTalk. So, I'm asking...are you
completely full of crap, leading a lot of folks down the primrose path
to...nothing? Or are you serious in your endeavor and possess the core
skills to do it, making a timetable estimate relatively trivial? I mean, if
there'a a hope at all you can do it, go for it! Please share with us what
you've found and what you're planning, we may be able to help. And I'm
still interested in your take of the questions below that you either didn't
answer or asked me to "explain more". My clarifications are in ()s.

Just curious...

Regards,

Gary