NTLK OFFTOPIC: Get newgroups via email?

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Fri Mar 10 2000 - 01:31:49 EST

On 3/6/2000 5:17 AM, Steve Weyer [mailto:sweyer@bellatlantic.net] wrote:

>> I love my MP 130 for email and usenet. What I would like to find is a
>> newsgroup that provided actual current general news stories, kind of like
>> a USA Today type of format. I've tried a couple of the newsguy and zipnews
>> groups. but found nothing but spam. I've only got about 400K free internal
>> memory, so I'd rather not subscribe to a news clipping email list. Another
>> thought I had was to download web pages with Newts Cape, but the only
>> thing I have left to move off the internal store is my names file. Would I
>> gain enough memory to install and use Newts Cape?
>

>you do need a few 100K for Newt's Cape, so this might work, but you'd also
>need some room for cache (probably best to keep cache setting small).
>anything not needing internet/modem you can move to a card, would probably
>help.
>
>if you just want "newsgroups" (do you mean like comp.sys.newton.misc), have
>you tried one of the readers like InkSpot or Paperboy?

This brings to mind something I wished for (and looked around the Web
for) recently:

A way to have newsgroup messages emailed to me.

I don't necessarily need/want the ability to reply, I just want to have
'em show up in my mailbox like NewtonTalk does.

I know "cross posting" is possible, because messages mailed to the the
Info-VAX mailing list and messages posted on the comp.sys.os.vms (or
something like that ) newsgroup's messages are automatically sent to each
other.

I'm not really looking for cross-posting, though, just the ability to
have posts to (in this case) comp.sys.newton.* show up in my mailbox.
Perhaps a few others places.

Anybody know of any service like that?

 - Bill Davis

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = GOT A NEWTON QUESTION? Visit: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!