Re: NTLK Arghh! Dongle Port Gooshed!

From: Gary Moody (gmoody@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 00:08:08 EST

Hold on a sec, I'm confused. The subject line says "Dongle Port", implying
an MP2X00, whereas the body says "Serial Port", implying an MP1X0.

If it's the MP1X0, then Ed, you are correct, probably a slipped mount.

If it's the dongle port of an MP2X00, it has to go to Dr. Newton or to
Apple, unless she's *really* good at resoldering delicate SMT connections.
The dongle port is attached to the Newton only by the solder joints on the
motherboard (it does *not* attach to the case at all, the case slips over
it), and it's relatively common for them to eventually break off and the
d-shell to be pushed back into the Newton. This can cause future problems
(I mean besides not being able to connect to anything) by the d-shell
connector, now loose in the Newton's case, possibly shorting out the
motherboard randomly. Bad news, and a lesson to all of us MP2X00 users - be
*very* careful with your dongle ports, especially insertion and
disconnection! Excess stress on this socket will accelerate premature
failure. This can and will happen to you, eventually!

Regards,

Mr. Anonymous :)