NTLK dumb adapter question

From: brd (vwbrd@bigfoot.com)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2000 - 18:51:15 EST

Okay, I just got my MP120 on thursday, but it did not come with an adapter.
I saw a post somewhere describing a 600mA universal adapter at walmart. I
bought that last night. There are 2 potential tips that could fit in the
newton.

I'm using Nicad rechargeables in it right now. I've read the posts saying
how if you put a piece of cardboard in the battery compartment to push the
little recharge button, the newton will recharge them. I haven't tried this
yet.

What I have tried (and here comes the dumb question) is with no batteries in
plugging in the adapter (set to 7.5v) to the newton. The tip is set for positive
polarity, but the newton will not turn on. Is the adapter just to recharge
the batteries, and won't power the newton without them, or is something wrong?

Also, I noticed when I tested the tip with my multimeter, it's reading like
10.8V ac when the adapter's set to 7.5! this has me scared, so I haven't
tried it longer than a second or 2.

Yes, I know the best solution is to get an apple adapter, but they're like
$30 (if I could find one), which is 1/3 what I paid for the thing.
Besides, I'd rather buy a flashcard with that money. I also know I should
RTFM, but geez, it's like 400 pages long.

Okay, enough rambling.
Thanks,
Brian

--
The 21st century begins on January 1, 2001.

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the Internet. Visit EVOTE.COM for all the latest news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!