Re: NTLK AOL Access For Newton

From: Brian McEwen (bmcewen@cowboy.net)
Date: Sun Mar 05 2000 - 20:20:49 EST

On Sun, 5 Mar 2000, Bill Davis wrote:
> PPP is dialup access to TCP/IP, as is SL/IP. AOL provides an equivalent
> to PPP or SL/IP to gain you access to TCP/IP. That's why you can use
> Netscape, IRC, FTP, etc once you are connected to AOL; they merely
> provide another mechanism to get to TCP/IP similar to PPP and SLIP
> (called AOLLink, as I recall) and your TCP/IP setup on your Mac or
> Windows machine uses it.

My point is/was perhaps poorly stated, but it is not HOW they provide
access to a true IP stack, (TCP/IP), if you are using a more modern
version of the AOL client, a true IP stack DOES exist, in a fashion
conforming to the RFCxxxx standard, for other clients to utilize.

I don't recall ever seeing a reason ever stated as to why the Newton could
not get the samne thing accomplished; it's just that Hardy wrote the Newt
AOL EMAIL client to work directly with their proprietary EMAIL system.
Using the 2.7 interface, rather than the 4.0. So no true IP stack
implemented (at least that other apps can hook onto). I have no interest
in AOL EMAIL. I just want the IP stack available like they provide thru
_their_ more modern dialup mechanisms :)

Likely, this has not happened for a couple reasons. Certainly technical
feasibility is not one. Perhaps if the ertwhile programmer were to force
display of the ads you would be missing out on otherwise...

Oh well.

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!