Re: NTLK ADVICE : MessagePad Touchscreen and Case Cleaning

From: Chris Ruprecht (chrup@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Mar 05 2000 - 14:36:26 EST

Hi Dave and all other Newtoneers,

>Well.......
>
>Oz, you REALLY need to read the "Getting Started" manual ( pages vii and
>viii ) shipped with all MP2x00's
>
>Isopropyl alcohol is FINE ( recommended by Apple ) and should be used with a
>soft cloth ( like eyeglass cleaning cloth ) to clean both the screen and
>case

I have used isopropyl alcohol for ages to no ill effect. I used a
mild dishwashing solution once on my Apple 1710AV screen and it took
part of the anti-glare coating off, leaving the screen looking like
it has grease smudges all over. - so far that has never happened
again anywhere else, though.

>A bottle of 70 or 90% isopropyl alcohol is quite inexpensive and can be
>found at most pharmacy's. Most carry eyeglass cleaning cloth as well.
>
>I've used 90% isopropyl for a long time.

I have seen a friends Newton has a small blotch of something - looks
like mold growing - behind the screen on her MP130. It's only visible
when the backlight is on and it can not be wiped off, since we can't
get to it short of opening the Newton - which I don't want to do.
It's not guaranteed that I can get to the spot, even if I open the
Newton.

Has anybody else seen this before? I bought this Newton about 2 or 3
months ago on eBay, so I don't know how it was treated in the past.
Also, I didn't really notice the spot until about 3 weeks ago, so it
might have been there before, it might not. What might be causing
this? what are the dangers? what is a possible cure? The Newton
itself doesn't seem to be effected by it, everything is working fine.

>Note :
>
>I often read postings from Newton owners wanting to "polish out" scratches
>on their touchscreen.
>
>This is not possible. Do not attempt it. You will only cause a hazy spot
>around your scratch.
>
>Why ? The top layer of the touchscreen writing surface is POLYESTER ( a
>relatively soft vinyl / plastic ).
>
>Kits intended to "polish" music CD's work with them because they are made of
>hard plastic.
>The kits either fill in the scratch or melt the surface of the hard plastic.

I'm confused ... then you refer to "them" and "they", do you mean CDs
or Newtons?
I have some wear marks on my screen which come from typing in the
password when the Newton starts up. Since pushing the code into the
same positions all the time, it took it's toll on the screen. I know,
I'm a candidate for NuShield ... can the system be patched to have
the password box appear in a different spot on the screen every time
it appears?

Best regards,
Chris

--
Chris Ruprecht
Network grunt and bit pusher extraordinaíre

****************************************** This NewtonTalk Message brought to you by:

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the Internet. Visit EVOTE.COM for all the latest news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!