Re: NTLK Re: OFF TOPIC..but fun...Krispy Kreme tangent

From: Michael Wittmann (mcw@wam.umd.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 26 2000 - 08:06:24 CDT

Greetings,

having grown up in North Carolina, I had the joy of Krispy Kreme from day
one... and for those now so madly in love with them, I merely must point
out that they used to be BETTER, back before they came out with the "new,
improved, larger" donuts in 96 or 97 or whenever that was. The smaller
ones were fluffed air with sugar glaze, you could eat a dozen in 15
minutes (I did this regularly for a while, back when my metabolism allowed
it... washed it down with a half gallon of whole milk...).

And for the vague Newton reference out there ... a friend of mine lived
within sight distance of a Krispy Kreme, and had his Newton send an alarm
at irregular intervals to remind him to check out the window at the lights
- were the donuts fresh?!?! (for those not in the know, old Krispy Kreme
stores and maybe the new ones, too, have a lighting system designed to
tell you how long until the next batch - down in NC, you'd get lines at
certain times of the day for those who wanted the freshest possible
donut).

ciao,
michael