Re: NTLK Campact Flash with SansDisk Adapter

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Mon Jun 26 2000 - 01:07:41 CDT

On 6/26/00 12:53 AM, scott@kconline.com [mailto:scott@kconline.com]
wrote:

>I'm new to Newt (Just got my MP120 (2.0) Monday on eBay) and have a
>question about storage cards. I have a large supply of Compact Flash
>cards and SansDisk adapters for older digital cameras. The adapter fits
>into the Newtons card slot, but will the cards hold my packages?

No.

The Newton needs older Linear flash RAM cards, not the ATA style cards
you'll find in stores or CF cards.

But hang on to 'em for a whil -- work is ongoing on a driver, but nothing
currently exists to let you use ATA cards as memory in a Newton. But it
may not be for older Newtons such as yours, possibly only newer models
like the 2xxx's (not sure, I may have not been following Paul Guyot's
chronicles here of his work on an driver to use ATA cards as memory on a
Newton properly).

>I guess a better question is, if I try it can I hurt my Newton?

Dunno, but I would NOT risk it. It'd be a waste of time, anyway.

Since you're a "Newtbie" ;-), you NEED to know about the Newton Community
FAQ. Check it out on various sites, including mine
(http://www.info-newt.com/faq/). Check it for answers first!

 - Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = GOT A NEWTON QUESTION? Visit: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/